Matko Mestrovic is active, outstanding and during diverse historical periods of late modernism, postmodernism and the epoch of globalism intrinsic critical and theoretical figure on the Croatian and European intellectual scene. He was a member of neodadaist and proto-conceptualist group Gorgona during early sixties. His theoretical work is initially associated with the New Tendencies movement at the turn of the fifties in the sixties of the XX century.
Mestrovic emerged as a theorist and ideologue of New Tendencies movement, which means a theorist of art after informel and in a wide range from neodada over neo-constructivism, lumino-cinetics and computer art to design, architecture and environmental studies. Matko Mestrovic can be considered genuine and remarkable founder of the theory and philosophy of neo-avant-guard art and culture in Croatia and Yugoslavia.
As a long-time scientific researcher at the Institute of Economics he led interdisciplinary projects on socio-cultural processes of transition and globalization in Croatian and European societies.
1933 Born on the island of Korcula, Croatia.
???? High school completed in Split.
???? Graduated in History of Art and Culture from the Faculty of Philosophy, Zagreb University.
1961 As a French government grantee spent six months in Paris
1961 Initiated, with Bozo Bek and Almir Mavignier, the network “nove tendencije” (New Tendencies) and was one of its leading forces.
1968 Was a member of the organizational committee of “Tendencije 4 – Computers and Visual Research”.
1968-1972 Co-publisher of the magazine Bit International.
1969-1970 As an IREX grantee was at the following universities in the United States: Columbia University, New York, UCLA, Los Angeles (Art Department and Journalism Department), MIT, Cambridge (Center for Advanced Visual Studies), Pennsylvania University, Philadelphia (The Annenberg School of Communication).
1978 Ph.D. thesis defended at alma mater.
1987-1992 Director of the Institute for Culture of Croatia
???? Former professor at the Faculty of Architecture, University of Zagreb, interdisciplinary oriented, was senior research fellow at the Zagreb Institute of Economics where he initiated the research project Cultural capital and development strategy of Croatia.
1967 From Single to General.
1978 Outlines Without Patterns.
1980 Theory of Design and Environmental Problems.
1983 The World, Consciousness and Dependence.
1995 Goods and Freedom.
1998 Social Capital and Transition in Croatia (as Editor) .
2001 Globalization and Its Reflections in Croatia (as Editor).
2002 Reality Time.
- Matko Meštrović, “Computer and Visual Research – Ways of thinking and scope of acting” 2004. URL: http://web.archive.org/web/20060202234116/http://www.akademie-solitude.de/stuttgart1960/3_text_matko.html
- Matko Meštrović, “Global Crisis and Social Earth”. URL: http://www.inst.at/trans/16Nr/01_2/mestrovic16.htm
- Matko Meštrović, “Culture – Commonness of the Common?”. URL: http://www.inst.at/trans/15Nr/01_2/mestrovic15.htm
- Matko Meštrović, “Art and Technology – Yesterday and Today”, 1998. URL: http://www.mi2.hr/alive/mestrovic.htm
- Matko Meštrović, “The formal economy and the real world”, 2000. URL: http://www.emeraldinsight.com/journals.htm?articleid=874098&show=pdf
- Matko Meštrović, Obrisi bez obrasca (Contours without patterns), Mladost, Zagreb, 1970.
- Matko Meštrović, “Ideology of New Tendencies”, 1963.